Sunday, June 14, 2009

Vegan Buttercream Icing

Add Image


My daughter's birthday cake has been my anticipated project for weeks now! I have never actually decorated a cake before with anything other than a spoon, but this time, I got brave and used actual cake decorating tools. It was a lot of fun and a little stressful too.

I got my idea for the cake from a fellow blogger.

The recipe for the icing I got from another cool website.

Here is the recipe:

  • 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening (I used Spectrum brand)
  • 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine (I used Earth Balance)
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup plain soy milk
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
  2. Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy. Make sure to add in the soy milk slowly so that you can stop when you get the right consistency.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Beautiful cake! It looks delicious, too!

Anonymous said...

Testing... testing...

tc said...

Thanks Heather =)
I wish I could share a piece with you since you share a bday with her =)