Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Simple Chocolate Cake (or Cupcakes)

There are so many birthdays in the summer and I know everyone hates turning on their ovens... but trust me, the cakes they sell at the grocery store are so bad for you they should be illegal. The icing is mostly partially hydrogenated oil and the ingredient list is just plain scary-looking!

I have been making this cake since even before I went vegan/vegetarian because I am a big fan of simplicity. I have always hated looking up recipes online only to find that I didn't have three or four of the ingredients on hand. This recipe proved that making a cake can be simple, good for you, and best of all, DELICIOUS!

I'll post pics as soon as someone has a birthday in my house (which is pretty soon!)

Simple Chocolate Cake

3 cups flour (I use 2 cups wheat, 1 cup all-purpose)
6 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cups oil
2 tbsp lemon juice (you can substitute plain vinegar if you don't have lemon juice)
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups water

You'll need two mixing bowls. Mix dry ingredients (first 4) in one bowl, then cream the sugar (mix brown sugar and oil very well) in the other bowl, then combine into one bowl and add water, vanilla, lemon juice. At this point, mix to eliminate lumps, don't overmix. Pour the mixture into 2 cake pans or any equivalent.

Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes. Note, that if you are making cupcakes, it will take much less time.

Enjoy!

PS - I forgot the icing recipe!

I have like a dozen icing recipes (all of which I should post soon), but here is the one I made recently because my daughter wants an all pink birthday, so pink icing it is!

2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of soy milk
1 tsp imitation strawberry flavoring

You can just mix it all together. You may need to add more or less soy milk until you get to the consistency you want.

No comments: