Sunday, June 7, 2009

Berry Eggless Crepes



I was in the mood for pancakes this morning, but I wanted something that would incorporate some fruit too. I made eggless crepes last year with egg replacer, and I'll be honest, the crepe itself was pretty weird tasting. When I added the fruit and the toppings, it was fine. It wasn't something that I craved to make again though. So I went in search of a recipe and I found several without the egg replacer and they were all pretty similar:

Simple Crepe Recipe

1/2 c soymilk
2/3 c water (extra if needed)
1/4 c melted butter (Earth Balance brand)
1 c flour (unbleached all-purpose)
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla

There are no special directions, just put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Refrigerate the bowl while you prepare the berries and toppings.

When you are ready, take a large saucepan and pour some of the batter. Using a spoon, spread the batter to make the crepe about double the size of what you poured.
Here is a picture of the size and color (5 - 6 inches in diameter):



For the strawberries, I took 12 or 13 frozen strawberries and cut them up. I used a small saucepan, added about a couple spoonfuls of water, 2 tbsp of sugar, and the strawberries. You can use fresh strawberries and it isn't necessary to warm them. That's the great thing about crepes, you can be creative and add your favorite fruit, whatever way you prefer to have it!

For the topping, you can melt some chocolate and drizzle it on top of the crepe, along with some powdered sugar. Since I had no chocolate on hand, I had to make my own chocolate drizzle with unsweetened cocoa powder, soymilk, and oil.

Enjoy!

No comments: